Developing Leadership Potential
About This Course
“Leadership is a function of knowing yourself, having a vision that is well communicated, building trust among colleagues, and taking effective action to realize your own leadership potential.” – Warren Bennis
Leadership in contemporary growth oriented organizations requires a combination of operational expertise and positive interpersonal orientations. While there is some understanding that a careful mix is important to drive organizations to the next level of performance, few managers and leaders have a strong foundation and understanding of what they possess, and what they need to do, to in order to meet the multiple and diverse expectations required of them.
According to Hogan and Warrenfeltz (2003), some of the skills required to navigate a successful career include:
- Intrapersonal Skills: self- awareness, self- control, emotional maturity, integrity
- Interpersonal skills: social skill, empathy, persuasion and relationship management
- Business skills: ability to plan, organize, monitor and use resources
- Leadership skills: ability to build and maintain a team, lead through others
This programme is aimed at helping mid to senior level managers to assess and develop core leadership competencies required to be effective leaders.
Specifically the programme will focus on:
- An understanding of the leadership competencies required to be successful in today’s environment
- Understanding and exploring one’s own leadership and interpersonal styles and identifying gaps/areas of
- Developing influencing skills and persuasion
- Mentoring and Coaching skills
- Leading and managing change
- Managing teams
- Managing culture
The modules in the program would revolve around:
- Overview of competencies required in contemporary high growth globalizing environment
- Intrapersonal assessment – Self-awareness
- Interpersonal effectiveness
- Decision making in tough times
- Building and maintaining teams
- Dilemmas in leadership
The program is built around participant centered learning. Consequently, participants can expect to have prereads, simulations, paper and pencil tests, structured exercises, role plays, case discussions and occasional lectures.
WHO MAY ATTEND
The programme is of special relevance to High Potential employees in middle to senior management positions across medium to large organizations. Experienced entrepreneurs are also encouraged to apply.
Prof. Abhishek Goel (Fellow-IIMA) is a faculty in the Organizational Behavior Group since 2008. He is active in teaching and consulting in areas of Leadership development, Teambuilding, Cross-cultural management, and Organizational Culture. His current research interests are in the area of Employee Engagement and Organizational Citizenship Behaviors. His publications have appeared in reputed journals including the Harvard Business Review.
He has been a visiting fellow to Germany and Spain. He has won a few research based awards, including the Young Scientist awardee from the XXIX International Congress of Psychology in Berlin.